© 2024 WMRA and WEMC
WMRA : More News, Less Noise WEMC: The Valley's Home for Classical Music
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Planned Gifts

One of the many ways that friends can choose to express their deep commitment to public radio in our region is by naming WMRA in their will or trust, contributing appreciated stock, or gifting a required minimum distribution from their IRA. Many of these gifts have tax advantages and can be a way to make a lasting contribution without affecting your current financial security and freedom.

IRA Charitable Gift
As you plan your required minimum distributions (RMD) for the year, consider using your IRA account to make the most of your gift to WMRA. Giving through your IRA can satisfy your RMD for the year and may reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions.

Name WMRA in Your Will
A bequest is a gift made through a will or trust. It’s the most popular type of planned gift and one of the easiest to make. A bequest typically involves a set dollar amount or a percentage of an estate. A bequest can be included in a new will or added to an existing one through a simple amendment known as a “codicil.”

Giving Stocks and Other Securities
You may be able to realize substantial tax benefits by donating appreciated assets to a non-profit organization. Regardless of short-term ups and downs, the value of many investments has risen dramatically over the past several years. As a result, you may be holding property that would generate significant capital gains taxes if sold. You may be able to avoid those taxes while helping WMRA bring you the finest in public radio programming.

For more information
There are many ways to plan special gifts for WMRA and your other charitable interests. Whatever your plans may be, we encourage you to call or write for more information, without obligation.

NPR and WMRA are not engaged in rendering legal or tax advisory service. For advice and assistance in specific cases, the services of an attorney or other professional advisor should be obtained. State laws govern wills, trusts and charitable gifts made in a contractual agreement. Advice from legal counsel should be sought when considering these types of gifts.

Matt Bingay, Executive Director
WMRA-WEMC, 983 Reservoir St., Harrisonburg, VA 22801
(540) 568-6221 or (800) 677-9672